The computer science department at VU University Amsterdam is working on international leading research. Professors like Andrew Tanenbaum, Guus Schreiber and Chris Verhoef are internationally recognized top researchers.
Students can join our talent network here at the VU University Amsterdam. We support our students in all possible ways needed for them to join this internationally acclaimed group of researchers.
ICT allows people, companies and economies to connect in new ways. Worldwide, new oppertunities for collaboration are evolving. These networks are flexible, versatile and go beyond borders. The creating and sharing of information (knowledge) through networks changes the way we think, work and live on a fundamental level. The Network Institute works on a better understanding of new evolving networks; in a scientific, technical, economical and social way.
Our passport now contains a computer chip. This RFiD chip is used to store digital information (name, social security number, photo). Research has shown that this chip can be hacked. Such a chip can also be found in public transport cards, pets and can also be injected in humans. The security of such a chip is very important. One way to create a secure RfiD system is to use the RFiD guardian which is developed at the VU.
New computers contain dual-core video cards and multi-core processors. Calculating a solutions to a problem, using multiple processing units requires special algoritms and software. The fastest supercomputers in the world use hundreds of processing units. The DAS (Distributed ASCII Supercomputer) cluster at the VU is being used to reseach how we can use parallel and distributed processing; for example to calculate data for astronomical purposes and weather models.
We are happy to announce that the doors of the new Intertain Experimental Research HomeLab at the VU University Amsterdam will officially open on 16 April 2010. We would like to invite you to come and explore these facilities for research and experimentation that the Computer Science department at the VU are now offering.
- Herbert Bos to receive 1.5 milion euros Vici grant
- CWI Joins DSRC
- Jacopo Urbani interview in Parool: Web-scale reasoning
- Meet your future: Green-IT networking event for students a success
- VU Researcher Paul Groth Co-authors book on W3C Provenance standard
- Henri Bal nominated for Academia Europeana
- SIGMM Award for Dick Bulterman
- VENI grant for Jacopo Urbani
- 5 students VU have advice for regulation of mobile telephony within penitentiaries
- Luis Simoes wins Gold Medal for Human-Competitive Results Produced by Genetic and Evolutionary Computation
- Asia Slowinska and Peter Boncz win awards
- Patricia lago was awarded a grant for a new research project on green software
- Paul Groth co-chairs International standard for Provenance Interchange on the Web (PROV) release
- VU Scientists Guszti Eiben and Nathalie van der Wal in the spotlight
- Norvig Web Data Science Award open for submissions
- Eelco den Heijer: best student paper award
- Jacopo Urbani: Most Promising Young Researcher award 2012
- Anton Feenstra: has got awarded NWO Open Competitie grant
- Dick Grune: Polderpionier bij tweakers
- VU wint SURFnet innovatieregeling met duurzame oplossingen voor hoger onderwijs
- Join the Web Science Summer Course this summer
- From Big Bang to Big Data: ASTRON and IBM Collaborate to Explore Origins of the Universe
- VU selected as a CUDA Teaching Center
- We moeten hackers opleiden
- Chris van den Berg wint scriptieprijs
- Herbert Bos appointed as full Professor
- Meisjes, vrouwen en ICT, artikel in VHTO
- Frank Seinstra wins Enlighten Your Research 3 'Sustainability Prize'
- VU en World Wide Web foundation winnen prestigieuze nieuwsprijs
- Emeritus hoogleraar Jan Willem Klop benoemd bij de Academia Europaea
- Supercomputer van de VU aan internationale top
- Celebrating 30 Years of Informatics Education in Amsterdam. See www.30-jaar-informatica.nl
- VU Professor Guszti Eiben over Evolutionaire Technologie op TEDxDanubia
- IBM sponsors the Service Oriented Design course 2011
- VU en UvA bieden informaticadocenten in het voortgezet onderwijs een nascholingstraject
- Photoshoot: nieuwe leskist voor informatica
- Veni subsidie voor Sanne Abeln
- Veni subsidie voor Wouter van Atteveldt
- Veni subsidie voor Alexei Sharpanskykh
- project CEDAR toegekend
- Prof.dr.ir. Henri Bal en dr. John Romein in Het Wiskundeboek
- Quest video emotion research
- Second place for VU team in international hackerscompetition
- Award for Most Cited Article
- European PhD Award is awarded again to VU Alumni
- ACM-Infosys Foundation Award for Frans Kaashoek
- VU student maakt alternatieve rooster site