Our building metaphor is wrong!
Architectural decisions must strive for an ecology of change,
that is a flexible arrangement of components
to promote changes in business-logic and adaptiveness to
a changing environment.
slide: Our building metaphor is wrong!
Architectural software styles
- component types -- process, event, ...
- runtime relations -- topology
- semantic constraints -- immutability
- communication, coordination -- connectors
slide: Architectural software styles
Themes and variations
- OO -- simple call and return
- CORBA -- independent components
- WWW -- data centered
- events -- independent components
- logic -- virtual machine architecture
slide: Themes and variations
Architectural issues for the Web
- managing growth, maintaining installed base
- enhanced functionality -- multimedia
- improved infrastructure -- HTTP-NG
slide: Architectural issues