+31 20 598 7772
T3.33 of the W&N building (map)
Dr. Mark Hoogendoorn
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Sciences
Department of Computer Science
De Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
I am an Assistant Professor within the Computational Intelligence group of the Department of Computer Science at the VU University Amsterdam.
My research is positioned on the boundary between Machine Learning and the domain of Health and Wellbeing. My research interests include predictive modeling for diseases, personalized therapies and support systems, collectives of intelligent sensory and support devices, eHealth, and mHealth and the fundamental Machine Learning techniques that underpin these topics. For a list of my publications, click here.
I am currently a member of the Board of Directors of ISRII and chair the Special Interest Group on Data Standards and Sharing in the same organization. I have been a Visiting Scientist within the Clinical Decision Making Group headed by Peter Szolovits at MIT (CSAIL) during the Summer of 2015 and a PostDoc at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota in the group of Maria Gini (Fall 2007). Before 2012 I was part of the Agent Systems Group at the VU. I obtained my PhD degree in 2007 from the VU University Amsterdam as well.
I am currently involved in various research projects:
Past projects include the aforementioned ICT4Depression project, a project on Prediction of Colorectal Cancer (joint with various University Medical Centers and Annette ten Teije at the VU), a modular robotics project called Symbrion and two coordination actions called FOCAS (FP7 ICT Coordination action) and AWARE.
I'm also involved in teaching several courses related to Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence. In addition, I'm the Mastercoordinator for the various Artificial Intelligence programs and a member of the Examination Board of the Faculty of Sciences. For a bit more detail, see the information below.
Predictive modeling and outlier detection using large datasets A collaboration with the Ministry of the Interior, the Department of Mathematics, and the Center for Mathematics and Computer Science.
- E-COMPARED (FP7 Health project) The project concerns the comparison of the effectiveness of therapies for depression and is a close collaboration between researchers from the domain of psychology (among which the psychologists of the Department of Clinical Psychology of the VU University Amsterdam) and computer science. The main focus within the project for us is the generation of predictive models for patients to enable more effective policy making. The project uses an automated therapy developed in the EU FP7 funded ICT project ICT4Depression, a project I jointly coordinated with Michel Klein.
- Data-Driven Lifestyle Support through Smart Devices In this project the aim is to develop approaches that enable more personalized forms of support for a healthy lifestyle. Hereto we focus on data collected via various smart devices which we use to create highly personalized interventions. In addition, we intend to derive different sets of users with similar preferences. The project is part of a large AAA Data Science project and is a collaboration with Philips Research.
- Extraction of Medical Predictors from Text We aim to automatically extract meaningful concepts from notes written by GPs that might have predictive value. Hereto we use a variety of techniques, including mapping with medical ontologies. The project is funded by the VU University Medical Center.
- Ward van Breda (PhD student, working on E-COMPARED)
- Bart Kamphorst (PostDoc, working on Data-Driven Lifestyle Support)
- Reinier Kop (junior researcher, working on Extraction of Medical Predictors from Text)
- Giorgos Karafotias (graduated on February 24, 2016)
- Robbert-Jan Merk (graduated on February 6, 2013)
- Fiemke Both (graduated on June 5, 2012)
- Rianne van Lambalgen (graduated on April 3, 2012)
- Muhammad Umair (graduated on February 6, 2012)
- Syed Waqar Jaffry (graduated on September 9, 2011)
I am the coordinator of the various artificial intelligence master programs. Furthermore, I teach several courses. Information regarding the courses I teach can be found on BlackBoard. I'm currently involved in teaching/coordinating the following courses:
- Data Mining Techniques
- Machine Learning for the Quantified Self
- Computational Intelligence (part of the joint AI Master with the University of Amsterdam)
- AI Master orientatie (coordinator)
- Mini Master Project (coordinator)
Recent Committee Memberships
- Board Member International Society for Research on Internet Interventions (ISRII, 2016-present)
- Chair Special Interest Group in Data Standards and Sharing as part of ISRII (2015-present)
- Guest Editor (together with Tibor Bosse) for Special Issue of Applied Intelligence on Advances in Applied Artificial Intelligence (published by Springer)
- IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (PC Vice Chair @ IAT 2008, PC Member @ IAT 2015/2014/2013/2012/2011/2010)
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (Associate Editor @ IROS 2014/2012)
- International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (Doctoral Consortium Chair @ AAMAS 2013, PC Member @ AAMAS 2015/2012/2011/2010/2009/2008)
- International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (PC Chair @ IEA/AIE 2013, PC Member @ IEA/AIE 2014/2012/2010/2009, Special Session Organizer @ IEA/AIE-2012/2011/2010)
- International Workshop on Computing Paradigms for Mental Health (Co-Chair @ Mindcare 2013/2012)
- AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (PC Member AAAI 2013/2012)
- Invited Session on Innovative Technology in Mental Healthcare at the 4th International KES Conference on Innovation in Medicine and Healthcare (PC Member @ Session on Innovative Technology in Mental Healthcare at KES-InMed-16)
- International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (PC Member @ ICAART 2016/2015/2014/2013/2012/2011/2010/2009)
- European Conference on Modeling and Simulation (PC Member @ ECMS 2015/2014/2013/2012/2011/2010)
- International Conference on Pervasive and Embedded Computing and Communication Systems (PC Member @ PECCS 2015/2014)
- International Conference on Electronic Commerce (PC Member @ ICEC 2016/2015/2012/2011)
- Symposium on Artificial Life and Intelligent Agents (PC Member @ ALIA 2016)