Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Fellow of the ACM
- Fellow of the IEEE
- USENIX Flame Award
- Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Van Wijngaarden Penning from Nederlands Genootschap voor Informatica
- NLUUG Lifetime Achievement Award
Computer Science Education Awards
- Winner of the 2010 TAA McGuffey award for classic textbooks for Modern Operating Systems
- Winner of the 2007 IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal
- Winner of the 2003 TAA McGuffey award for classic textbooks for Computer Networks
- Winner of the 2002 TAA Texty Award for new textbooks
- Winner of the 1997 ACM SIGCSE Outstanding Educator Award
- Winner of the 1994 ACM Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award
Best Paper Awards
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at 15th IEEE Int'l Symp. on High Assurance Systems Eng., 2014
- Coauthor of Best Student Paper Award at LISA 2013, USENIX, 2013
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at Fourth Latin American Symposium on Dependable Computing, 2009
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at 16th Int'l Conf. on Real-Time and Network Systems, 2008
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at Dependable Systems and Networks 2007, 2007
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at 20th USENIX/SAGE Large Installation System Administration Conf., Dec. 2006
- Coauthor of Best Paper Award at Fourth IEEE Int'l Conf. on Pervasive Computing and Commun., IEEE, 2006
- Coauthor of the 1984 ACM SOSP Distinguished Paper Award
- European Research Council Grant (2.5 million euro), 2008
- KNAW Academy Professor (2 million euro), 2004
Invited Keynote Speeches at Conferences
30 years of Computer Science,
Symposium on 30 Years of Informatica in Sweden, Linkoping, Sweden, 26 Sep. 2013.
Where Are We Going
SIREN, Veldhoven, The Netherlands, 2 Nov. 2010.
MINIX 3: a Modular, Self-Healing POSIX-compatible Operating System,
FOSDEM, Brussels, 7 Feb 2010.
Ten Golden Rules for Teaching Computer Networking,
Changsha, China, 5 Nov. 2009.
Politics Meets the Internet,
E-Democracy 2009, Athens, Greece,
25 Sept. 2009.
The Design of a Highly Reliable Operating System,
Free and Open Source Operating Systems (FrOSCon 2008),
The Design of a Highly Reliable Operating System,
XV Semana Informatica,
13 March 2008.
Technical University of Lisbon
Where Are We Going?
NLUUG 25th Anniversary Conf.,
7 Nov. 2007.
How to Design a Reliable Operating System
2007 Linux Conf. Australia,
17 Jan. 2007.
MINIX 3: A Highly Reliable Operating System
Polish IT Festival, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland, 25 February 2006.
Research in Systems
ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles,
24 Oct. 2005.
The Design of a Billion-User Worldwide Distributed System,
18th Int'l Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems,
27 May 1998.
Ten Golden Rules for Teaching Computer Science,
ACM SIGCSE '97, 27 Feb. 1997.
New Frontiers in Networking.
NLUUG Spring Conf., 12 April 1995.
Distributed Operating Systems: Past, Present, Future,
14th Int'l Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, 22 June 1994.
Programming a Distributed System Using Shared Objects,
Second Int'l Symp. on High-Performance Distributed Systems, 21 July 1993.
Distributed Operating Systems Anno 1992: What have we Learned so Far?.
OpenForum Conf., Utrecht, 25 Nov. 1992.
The Amoeba Distributed Operating System.
Workshop on Distributed Operating Systems, Tokyo, 16 Jan. 1991.
Beyond UNIX--A True Distributed System for the 1990s,
Europen Conf., London, 13 July 1990.
Reliability Issues in Distributed Operating Systems,
Sixth Symp. Reliability in Distr. Softw. and Database Systems,
Williamsburg, VA, 1987.
MINIX - A UNIX Clone with Source Code,
EUUG Conf., Stockholm, 13 May 1987.
MINIX - A Rewrite of UNIX for the IBM PC,
NLUUG UNIX Conf., Ede, 30 May 1986.
Current Research on Distributed Operating Systems,
Computing in High Energy Physics, Amsterdam, 25 June 1985.
A Survey of Current Research on Distributed Operating Systems,
Eighth Australian Computer Science Conf.,
Melbourne, 7 Feb., 1985.
Amoeba - A Multicomputer Distributed Operating System,
Conf. on Fifth Generation and Super Computers,
Rotterdam, 12 Dec. 1984.
A File Server Using Optimistic Concurrency Control,
Workshop on Distributed Computing Systems,
Mont St. Michel, France, 27 Sept. 1983.
Design of a Capability-Based Distributed Operating System,
Distributed Computer Systems Symp.,
Kath. Univ., Leuven, Belgium, 25 Feb. 1983.
Design and Structure of an Open Distributed Operating System,
12th EUUG Conf., Leeds, England, 6 Sept. 1982.
Operating System Requirements for Distributed Data Base Systems,
Second Int'l Symposium on Distributed Data Bases, Berlin, 3 Sept. 1982.
Operating Systems in the Eighties,
Nieuwe Ontwikkelingen in Computerprogrammatuur, Utrecht, 7 May 1982.
Amoeba - A Capability-Based Distributed Operating System,
Local Networks and Distributed Office Systems, London, 12 May 1981.
A Tool Kit for Making Compilers for Pascal like Languages,
Conf. on Experiences with Pascal, Goteborg, Sweden, 4 June 1980.
The Future of Distributed Computer Architecture,
Ned. Genootschap voor Informatica Spring Symposium, Veldhoven, 27 May 1980.
System Programming Languages,
Ned. Genootschap voor Informatica, Utrecht, 10 May 1979.