topical media & game development
This chapter discussed the relevance of
the development of Web-applications.
- trends and technologies -- client/server + extensions
- ObjectWeb -- CORBA/Java vs Microsoft
slide: Section 12.1: Objects and the Web
In section 1,
we looked at trends and technologies, in particular
the ongoing creation of the ObjectWeb,
which is essentially an ongoing war between Microsoft and the rest
of the world.
- models of computation
- intelligent agents
slide: Section 12.2: Programming the Web -- a search for APIs
In section 2,
we discussed the model of computation underlying the
Web. We looked at the requirements we may have for APIs,
and we explored the notion of intelligent agents on the Web,
- animating the Web -- an SGML-based approach
- bringing music to the Web -- data formats + client-side plugin
- jamming (on) the Web -- additional communication servers
slide: Section 12.3: The DejaVU experience -- jamming (on) the Web
In section 3, some of the research efforts carried out in the
DejaVU project were presented.
In particular, we looked at an SGML-based approach to extend the
Web with new media and communication facilities.
- OO -- simple call and return
- CORBA -- independent components
- WWW -- data centered
- events -- independent components
- logic -- virtual machine architecture
slide: Section 12.4: Architecture revisited
Finally, in section 4, we discussed some remaining architectural issues.
We concluded that many of the applications discussed in this
book draw from a mixture of technologies and architectural styles.
You may not copy or print any of this material without explicit permission of the author or the publisher.
In case of other copyright issues, contact the author.