topical media & game development
This chapter discussed the relevance of
the development of Web-applications.
- trends and technologies -- client/server + extensions
- ObjectWeb -- CORBA/Java vs Microsoft
slide: Section 12.1: Objects and the Web
In section 1,
we looked at trends and technologies, in particular
the ongoing creation of the ObjectWeb,
which is essentially an ongoing war between Microsoft and the rest
of the world.
- models of computation
- intelligent agents
slide: Section 12.2: Programming the Web -- a search for APIs
In section 2,
we discussed the model of computation underlying the
Web. We looked at the requirements we may have for APIs,
and we explored the notion of intelligent agents on the Web,
- animating the Web -- an SGML-based approach
- bringing music to the Web -- data formats + client-side plugin
- jamming (on) the Web -- additional communication servers
slide: Section 12.3: The DejaVU experience -- jamming (on) the Web
In section 3, some of the research efforts carried out in the
DejaVU project were presented.
In particular, we looked at an SGML-based approach to extend the
Web with new media and communication facilities.
- OO -- simple call and return
- CORBA -- independent components
- WWW -- data centered
- events -- independent components
- logic -- virtual machine architecture
slide: Section 12.4: Architecture revisited
Finally, in section 4, we discussed some remaining architectural issues.
We concluded that many of the applications discussed in this
book draw from a mixture of technologies and architectural styles.
- Describe the architecture of the Web.
Explain the relevance of objects for the Web.
- Sketch the Microsoft approach to the ObjectWeb.
Discuss its pros and cons.
- In what ways can Java and CORBA be deployed in Web applications?
- Indicate how the computation model underlying the Web
deviates from the computation models underlying, respectively,
object systems and client-server systems.
- What requirements can you think of for libraries
or frameworks for developing Web applications?
- Discuss the Document Object Model.
- What are the requirements for a framework supporting intelligent
- Explain the issues that arise in extending the Web
with additional media functionality.
What solutions can you think of?
Can you give an example?
For information concerning the Web, have a
look at www.w3c.org which give a detailed
account on the history of the Web and many other issues.
For an exposition of the issues and technologies
that play a role in the battle for the ObjectWeb,
A good introduction to agents and its associated technology is
given in [Survey].
For architectural issues, again, I recommend [Practice].
You may not copy or print any of this material without explicit permission of the author or the publisher.
In case of other copyright issues, contact the author.