topical media & game development
AntiPatterns - from the cover
- the AntiPatterns authors have clearly been there
AntiPatterns - the hype
Anti-Patterns - from the cover
- shows managers, architects, and developers to learn
from the painful mistakes of others (!?)
- AntiPatterns continue the trend started in
- AntiPatterns name common problem situations
resulting from poor management
and architectural control
- may even provide some clues how to get yourself
out of the situations
See Risk Avoidance Patterns
AntiPatterns - the facts
- nearly 1/3 of software projects are cancelled
- 2/3 of all software projects have 200% or more cost ...
- over 80% of all software projects are deemed failures
AntiPatterns - the issues
Root Causes for the Software Crisis
- Haste, Apathy, Narrow-mindedness,
Sloth, Avarice, Ignorance, Pride
From the Foreword
- ... sometimes the disadvantages of patterns
outweigh the advantages
AntiPatterns tell you what to avoid
- the do not cover design, but human behavior
AntiPatterns -- Q/A
AntiPatterns -- offer ...
- What are the two most common software design mistakes?
- What can we do to fix (or refactor) bad software?
- Our design project is going around in circles,
how can we get it back on track?
Analysis paralysis, Design by Committee
- How do I know whwn I am being misled by a software vendor?
Vendor Lock-in, Smoke and Mirrors
- Is the latest standard .. technology breakthrough
going to solve my problems?
Wolf Ticket, Continuous Obsolescence
- Is our project headed for disaster?
Death by Planning, Mushroom management
- What are the 'gotchas' of software reuse?
Cut-and-Paste programming, Golden Hammer
You may not copy or print any of this material without explicit permission of the author or the publisher.
In case of other copyright issues, contact the author.