topical media & game development
Critical Success Factors
- use incremental scheduling and staging
- find and fix failing ideas
- develop a habit of delivering
- Get: sponsor, project manager, technical leader
Key Failure Indicators
- absence of incremental development
- use of C++ in commercial IS
Surviving Object-Oriented Projects: A managers Guide
OO - Success and Failure
- OO = technology + mind-set
- it might be new technology to your organisation
- developers love it!
- requires and enables communication between groups
- adopting OO may succeed or fail!
Possible benefits - responsiveness
- responsiveness - variations on a theme
- responsiveness to change!
- communication - developers, users, executives
- maintenance, reuse, productivity
- GUI development
- morale -- cutting-edge technology
- Are YOU underestimating?
- productivity takes time
- hazards of C++ (and Java, ...)
- reuse is difficult
- establishing a software process
- business-modeling or software design?
- CASE helps?
- You will pay for: training, experience, tools, consultants, ...
The hazards of C++?
- C++ won the language war over Eiffel, Objective-C, SOM, C@+, and Java?
- Java -- relative simplicity and portability
Managing (the complexity of) C++
- misconception: C++ is like C
- consider using another language
- Why does C++ exist? - engineering and systems programming
- create a subset of the language
- design and coding standards
- use people with knowledge!
- look carefully all around the project
- detect the risks!
- list the risks in order
- work on the risks in order of danger
see Risk Avoidance Patterns
You may not copy or print any of this material without explicit permission of the author or the publisher.
In case of other copyright issues, contact the author.